One of the easiest desserts to make is mousse, easily tailored to the ingredients of your choice. This dulce de leche mousse incorporates silky caramel into the mix, for a sweet finish that only takes about 15 minutes of effort. The fridge does the rest.
Pre-made dulce de leche can be found in any Latin grocery, in case you don’t feel like checking on an about-to-burn pot of milk, sugar and vanilla for three hours.
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dulce de leche
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spread the coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes; let cool.
- Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, beat the cream with the salt until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the dulce de leche.
- Divide the mousse between bowls and chill for at least 45 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with the coconut before serving.