It’s usually deviled kidneys you get on toast, but I like to devil mushrooms. You still get all the flavor, and you can share them with your vegetarian friends too.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds button mushrooms, wiped and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 slices of bread
- 2 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the mushrooms, and fry over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the brandy with great care as it may well catch alight as it hits the hot pan, but any flames will quickly die away.
- Allow the brandy to evaporate, then add the mustard, paprika, cream, and lemon juice. Reduce the heat to low and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread then arrange the slices on serving plates. Add most of the chopped parsley to the mushrooms and stir well. Top the toast with the deviled mushrooms, sprinkle the remaining parsley and serve hot.