Once you know how to make a lasagna, you can try out all sorts of variations. This creamy artichoke lasagna bake recipe is a perfect vegetarian winter dish when fresh veggies are scarce, subbing in frozen artichoke hearts and pine nuts for an earthier taste than your usual tomato-based lasagna.
- 9 sheets lasagna noodles, dry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 9-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce carton ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Place lasagna noodles in a single layer on a sheet of foil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add artichokes, pine nuts and half of the garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until artichokes are tender, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of the basil, the egg and the salt.
- For sauce, in a small bowl combine broth and flour. In the same saucepan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add the remaining garlic; cook and stir until garlic is tender.
- Stir in flour mixture and half-and-half. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup basil.
- In a small bowl combine the mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Spread about 1 cup of sauce evenly in an un greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Arrange three of the cooked lasagna noodles over the sauce in dish. Spread with one-third of the artichoke mixture and one-third of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella mixture.
- Repeat layers two more times, starting with the noodles and ending with mozzarella mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.