Dina Cheney's Meatless All Day is an undisputable reminder that Meatless Mondays can, and shall, be awesome. Utilizing protein-rich ingredients in innovative ways — and learning to master umami — all contribute to a supremely satisfying meal.
Smoked mozzarella (which has a savory, meaty quality), salty Parmigiano-Reggiano, sweet roasted red peppers, and broccoli (with its vegetal and slightly bitter flavor) add up to a complex, balanced, and satisfying breakfast or brunch dish. Save the broccoli stalks for soup or salad.
- 10 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 16 grinds black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups 1 1/2 inch broccoli florets
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained well and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 heaping packed cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 8 grinds pepper, and the red pepper flakes until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy, nonstick, oven-proof frying pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute. Immediately add the remaining oil and the broccoli (you don’t want the garlic to burn).
- Sprinkle the broccoli evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 8 grinds pepper, and sauté until tender but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes (poke with a fork to check).
- Make sure the broccoli florets are evenly spaced in one layer, and then pour in the seasoned egg mixture.
- Gently shake the pan so the eggs spread evenly.
- Arrange the peppers and cheeses evenly over the top of the frittata, and let it continue to cook until the edges are set, about another 4 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven, and cook until the eggs are firm and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then serve straight from the pan or on a platter pepper side up.
Find more fabulous frittata recipes on Food Republic: