You might think that blueberry and basil seem like an unlikely couple, but you’re in for a ridiculously delicious treat. The pops have a deep berry flavor, with a sweet hint of fragrant pepper from basil-infused simple syrup.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Demerara syrup (equal parts demerara sugar and hot water)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vodka
- Combine the water and sugar together in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar completely dissolves. Add the basil and stir.
- Remove from the heat, cover and cool to room temperature to make a basil-infused simple syrup. Strain, discarding the solids.
- Puree the blueberries, lemon juice and basil syrup in your blender in batches. Strain into a large bowl, mashing the puree around with a spoon to extract as much as liquid as you can.
- Discard the solids. Whisk with vodka.
- Fill the pop molds with the blueberry mixture leaving 1/4 inch at the top. Freeze until slushy, then insert a stick in each. Freeze overnight, until solid.