These bacon taco bites are close to being a perfect food. They taste at the same time crunchy, smoky, and earthy as the flavors combine in each mouthful. They are great for cocktails parties, breakfast with eggs and a Bloody Maria, or any fiesta where drinking is involved.
- 2 pounds thick sliced smoked bacon
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- thinly sliced radishes and shaved lettuce for garnish
- Roasted tomato remoulade (optional)
- In large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve the fat in the pan.
- Cut the bacon crosswise into 1-inch strips and put in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute the onions until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to the bowl with the bacon, add the honey and ancho and chipotle powders, and season to taste with salt.
- Fill a deep fat fryer with oil or add enough oil to a deep skillet to measure about 1 inch deep and heat to 375 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of the filling mixture in each corn tortilla, secure with 2 toothpicks, and deep fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove, drain on paper towel, discard the toothpicks, and serve immediately with radishes and shaved lettuce.