Before we close the book of 2017 for good, we discuss some of the biggest issues that have saturated the food world all year. This week’s Food Republic Today’s guests included chefs Amanda Cohen and JJ Johnson who spoke on the issues of lack of women in kitchens and racial inequality in the industry, respectively. We also hunkered down with cold weather recipes for pasta, brown butter and more. As for spirit talk, we spoke to Delhi’s only “gin master” and rounded up the rarest whiskeys you should treat yourself with. All that and more on this week’s Hot Topics.
- Have you heard of the Puerto Rican pork behemoth known as the Kan-Kan? Head out to this New York restaurant to try it for yourself.
- Claus Meyer’s guide to troubleshooting your homemade wheat bread is the only one you’ll ever need to get it right.
- There’s only one “gin master” in Delhi and his name is Peeyush Bhushan. He’s got 40 infusions to his name, and can’t be stumped.
- Chef Amanda Cohen says it’s time to make way for women to shine in the restaurant industry.
- JJ Johnson has gone from Harlem to Soho and captured the hearts and stomachs of everyone in between.
- Throwing a party? These duck liver mousse on duck fat financiers are sure to impress (and provide excellent drinking padding).
- Looking for a new sauce to conquer? Try these recipes for brown butter.
- When the temperature drops, it’s the perfect time to curl up with a bowl of pasta.
- Vegan eating in New York City is hearty and plentiful. You just need to know where to look.
- After all the gift giving is done, treat yourself to one of these bottles of rare whiskey.