Last week, Puerto Rico was hit with by the devastating Hurricane Maria. Eighty percent of its crops were destroyed, according to The New York Times. Chef José Andrés is on the ground in Puerto Rico helping those affected by Hurricane Maria, while bartenders in New York are fundraising to help efforts in both PR and Houston. Other restaurants in New York are dedicating their time to helping victims of the earthquakes that struck Mexico earlier this month. Meanwhile, organizations are gearing up for October’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month and have announced that donations will be made to fund research and trials for patients.
- Chevela’s in Brooklyn is collecting donations for earthquake relief in Mexico. The restaurant will match every dollar given. La Piscine is also donating $1 from every dish and drink sold to Project Paz, a non-profit geared toward helping Latino children in New York. The proceeds will go to help relief efforts in Mexico.
- Andrés traveled to Puerto Rico this week with his World Central Kitchen to help feed those without food and electricity. According to his Instagram, fellow chef Jose Enrique has opened his restaurant doors to those in San Juan. World Central Kitchen is taking donations to help relief efforts, while Andrés is calling for action from the food community through the hashtag #ChefsfForPuertoRico.
- Von in New York City hosted a charity cocktail night this past Tuesday. Partnering with the United States Bartenders’ Guild National Charity Foundation, a portion of the proceeds went toward hurricane relief in both Houston and Puerto Rico.
- October is also known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and to pay tribute ONEHOPE Wine is releasing a pink glitter edition of its Chardonnay. Every two bottles of Chardonnay sold funds one clinical trial for a breast cancer patient. In Miami, hospitality company sbe is donating $1 from every specialty cocktail sold to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale chapter of the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Locations that will be participating all month long include SLS South Beach, SLS Brickell, Delano South Beach, Townhouse Hotel and The Redbury South Beach.
- Starting today, beer writer Melissa Cole will be in Denver, manning a beer tasting at BookBar while talking about her latest book, The Little Book of Craft Beer. She’ll also be in town for the Great American Beer Festival from October 5-7.