Charity calls this week and here’s how you can help: eat a burger, order a sundae, attend some galas or play some bingo at one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants in Brooklyn.
- New York City locations of 5 Napkin Burger are donating proceeds to the New York Restoration Project to plant trees for the rest of the month of April. A donation will be made to the project for every Dolly Burger or Dolly Sundae purchased in celebration of the Broadway revival of Hello, Dolly!. The turkey burger is topped with brie, tomato and a rosemary kumquat aioli while the sundae layers coconut ice cream, salted chocolate, caramel sauce, pecans, graham cracker crumble with whipped cream, toasted coconut and shaved chocolate.
- In honor of Earth Day on Saturday, April 22, nationwide burger chain BurgerFi will be giving away free coasters that grow into heads of lettuce when planted for every burger purchased.
- The annual Wellness in the Schools gala falls on Monday, April 24. Bill Telepan and 30 NYC chefs and bartenders are serving up their best to support the nonprofit dedicated to nutritional education in public schools. Celebrity chefs Amanda Freitag and Alex Guarnaschelli along with Seamus Mullen, Michael Anthony Gail Simmons and Melissa Clark will also dishing out for WITS. The night will include a live auction with comedian Lewis Black wielding the gavel. Tickets can be found here.
- Also on Monday, Brooklyn restaurant Catfish turns its Bayou Bingo into a raffle fundraiser for Planned Parenthood. The weekly bingo night will devote the last Monday of every month to a different organization.
- Top Chef‘s Tom Colicchio’s 21st annual Toast to the Children gala will bring together NYC chefs, restaurants and wine and spirits purveyors to raise money for the pediatric programs at Bellevue Hospital. Tickets are available for the Tuesday, April 25 event.