We're now totally equipped to handle the rest of the hot weather bounty. No mozzarella is safe, hide your Early Girls. Tomato Week was a huge success. After celebrating one of our favorite treats of the year for seven straight days, we thought we'd share a few of our favorite nuggets of knowledge from this very enlightening, lycopene-filled week of the ripe, juicy summer tomatoes we'd been looking forward to all year (and will be enjoying for at least a couple more months).
- There's a time for cherry tomatoes and for grape tomatoes
- The original Campbell's tomato soup cans were going to be orange and blue.
- One of the times for cherry tomatoes is on homemade crostini.
- People really, really like Instagramming perfect summer tomatoes. Obvi.
- There are probably more than 5 things we never knew about San Marzano tomatoes.
- The best tomato soup we've ever had…isn't even cooked a little bit.
- Early Girls had a reputation in high school (and maybe they still do, let's find out).
- The ultimate summer tomato condiment has nothing to do with ketchup.
- And speaking of ketchup, there's a new sheriff in town. It doesn't come in a squeeze bottle.
- You'll want to make a simple tomato recipe more if it's in attractive watercolor-illustrated form.
More ways to enjoy your summer on Food Republic: