3 Winter Juice Recipes To Bring Your Worn-Out Body Back To Normal
Roots, fruits and berries for the cold season
Oh winter, you’ve been crueler than usual this year, repeatedly snowing on us in the Northeast where we’re used to it, but also wreaking havoc across the normally-sunny south, where your flurries inspired terror and caused traffic snarls and massive power outages.
Looking out my window at your latest “gift”— a barrage of freezing rain — you don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. So I’m going to combat you with the most effective weapon I have in my arsenal: my juicer. I will fill my body with life-giving vitamins, minerals and complex sugars, and in a few months, when you’re dead and gone, I will burst forth from hibernation, stronger and more vital than ever. And who will have the last laugh then? Huh?
Seriously though, I owe a debt of gratitude to my humble juicer this winter. All season long, bright, sweet, fresh-tasting fruit and vegetable juices have staved off my cravings for summer produce and have brought color and variety into my diet.
When it comes to combinations, juice varieties are limited only by your imagination. Here are three of my winter favorites. Pear, apple and cranberry come together in a light, rose-pink juice that packs a wallop of tartness; a riot of root vegetables creates a thick, creamy, frothy quaff; and a dead-simple two-ingredient carrot-orange juice makes the most of two items you’re likely to have on hand this very minute. So go ahead: juice, drink, and repeat.
- 1 large apple, rinsed and halved
- 1 large pear, rinsed and halved
- ¼ cup fresh cranberries, rinsed
- Turn juicer to high and process apple, pear and cranberries.
- Stir well and serve.
Winter Root Juice
- 3 medium carrots, rinsed
- 1 small parsnip, rinsed
- medium apple, rinsed and halved
- ½ small sweet potato, rinsed
- One 1-inch knob ginger, smashed
- Turn juicer to high and process carrots, parsnip, apple and sweet potato.
- Turn juicer to low and process ginger.
- Stir well and serve.
Simple Carrot-Orange Juice
- 6 medium or 4 large carrots, rinsed
- 2 oranges, halved and juiced into a glass using a reamer
- Turn juicer to high and process carrots.
- Add carrot juice to orange juice, stir well and serve.
More juicing on Food Republic: