When Sausage Met Potato: 5 Ways With Bangers and Mash
Ideas for sausages and potatoes when it gets cold
There's one dish I can't force myself to eat in hot weather, but the second it starts hammering giant wet snowflakes blown sideways by a "refreshingly" frigid damp wind, it's time to break out my variations on bangers and mash. I love our classic recipe with crispy pork sausages and caramelized onion gravy, but as can be expected, I get bored with it pretty quickly and move on. Here are a few ideas that really embody the spirit of "make extra for dinner, have the best lunch at the office."
- South of America: grilled chorizo over potatoes mashed with Peruvian huancaina sauce
- Fall Special: chicken apple sausage over mashed sweet potatoes with sage brown butter
- Bangers and Mash With Vegetables That Aren't Mushy Peas: Italian broccoli rabe sausage over goat cheese and kale mashed potatoes
- The Marrakesh Ex-Pat: charred merguez over spicy Egyptian potatoes with a little tzatziki sauce
- What Hangover? breakfast sausage links over the easiest mashed potatoes ever topped with two poached eggs and, just for tradition's sake, tons of onion gravy. This is more of a weekend lunch, seeing as you might not even consider eating until 2 or so. Until then, here's our recipe for seltzer and guide to powering through.
Here's the only real trick I have to this dish: whatever sausage you decide to go with, buy it from a butcher and not from a package. But as far as potatoes from a box and gravy from a peel-off container? Go, have at it. It's not like I just linked to every single tool you might possibly need for pulling this dish off at home or anything.
More British food for lunch on Food Republic: