You've Got Pineapple In Your Lunch!
7 easy ways to fit the tangy fruit into your lunch
I've noticed recently that I'm way more apt to finish something savory if it contains pineapple. Pizza, Thai curry, you name it. Something about the fruity acidity of pineapple, almost like it's been pickled in sugar instead of salt, really livens up food — especially meat. I looked back on past lunches and came up with the following ways to incorporate it into your midday repast:
- Find something blue cheese goes with and add pineapple. A burger is a really amazing place for this pairing to go down. Goat cheese also works nicely.
- Instead of Chinese-oranging, um...American-pineapple it! Use the same cornstarch technique using very finely chopped pineapple instead of zest, and pineapple juice and preserves. Do this with pork tenderloin cubes and you'll never go back to ordinary stir-fry.
- Or if you're veggie, smoked tofu and pineapple are a match made in heaven.
- Melon wrapped in prosciutto ≤ Pineapple wrapped in prosciutto
- Green juice trick: add lots of pineapple, cancel out the spinach and parsley.
- Studies show that bratwursts simmered in pineapple juice are just as happy as brats simmered in beer. The more you know.
- Thinly sliced in a banh mi. That sandwich has everything...except... (right?)
I know plenty of people, myself included, can be sensitive to pineapple's unique sting. Get rid of it with a very hot pan-fry or quick grill and get a move on.
More fruit in your lunch on Food Republic: