Crispy Potatoes With Shallots Recipe
A splash of vinegar makes these potatoes pop
Try this new technique for frying potatoes from Alex Guarnaschelli, chef/owner of The Darby, where these potatoes are super-popular. Guarneschelli recommends using Baker potatoes if you can find them, but russets or another starchy potato will do the trick as well.
"For the best results, let the shallots sit for a few hours in the vinegar before frying," she says.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the shallots root end down on a flat surface and cut them in half, then slice them fairly thinly (about 1/8 inch).
- Pour the vinegar and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to make sure the sugar has dissolved. Pour the vinegar mix into a medium bowl, stir in the shallots and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake until tender when pierced in the center with the tip of a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set the potatoes aside to cool.
- Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed pot (or, alternatively, a deep fryer). Heat the oil slowly over low heat to 375 F using a thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and break the flesh up with your fingers so there are some large and some small pieces. Separate the potatoes into 2 piles, large pieces in one, smaller in the other.
- Line a baking sheet with a kitchen towel to drain the potatoes and shallots once they are cooked.
- Drop the potatoes, in small batches, into the oil. Fry the larger pieces first because they will take longer. Cook until crispy, turning on both sides with a slotted metal spoon. Drain them on the lined baking sheet. Season with salt immediately.
- When all of the potatoes, big and small, are fried, toss the shallots in the oil and fry for 1 minute or so until slightly crispy. Remove them with the slotted spoon, drain and toss with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the vinegar from the shallots. Pile into a bowl.
- Serve immediately.
More killer sides on Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »