Fried Whitefish With Aioli Recipe
This recipe gives new meaning to "fish fry"
St. Louis chef and restaurateur Gerard Craft shares this fried whitefish recipe. It may require calling around to local fishmongers to see if they carry fresh sardines or baitfish, or calling in advance to request it.
The briny fresh taste of these little baitfish go great with the unctuous, lemony aioli. Accompanied by a tart bright cocktail or a really cold pilsner, these are the perfect party snack all around. A total crowd pleaser.
For the aioli:
- Combine all ingredients in food processor except than the soy oil.
- Turn on and slowly drizzle oil in until emulsion is formed.
- Season with salt and lemon juice as needed.
For the fish:
- When ready to serve, season whitefish with salt and pepper and bury in the flour.
- Gently remove the fish from the flour, shake off any excess and drop into a 375 F fryer until crispy and golden.
- Quickly remove onto paper towels and again season with kosher salt.
- Serve in bowl with aioli as dipping sauce.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »