Tomato And Peach Salad With Goat Cheese Recipe
Two in-season ingredients for one refreshing salad
Nils Noren is the Vice President, Restaurant Operations for the Marcus Samuelsson Group (full disclosure: Samuelsson is a co-founder of Food Republic). This fall, Noren will release a cookbook in Swedish, 10 Techniques, 100 Recipes. Here, he gives us a sneak peek (albeit in English). Follow him on Twitter at @nilsnoren.
This is a great summer salad when both tomatoes and peaches are in season. It has a nice balance between sweetness and acidity of the tomato and peach and the saltiness of the goat cheese. And it also gets the added layer of flavor from the spices in the marinade for the peaches. Use peaches that are not overripe; you want a little crunch and some acidity left in the peach for contrast. It is very important to serve this salad closer to room temperature to get the full flavor; tomatoes especially have a lot less flavor when cold.
See also: Nils Noren's Scandinavian Semi-Holiday
- Cut the peaches in half and take out the pit. Cut each peach half in quarters lengthwise and then cut them in half. Place the peaches in a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a pot and bring to a boil. Strain over the peaches. Let the peaches marinate for a couple of hours. Then remove the peaches and set aside. Reduce the marinade by half and set aside for the vinaigrette.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and cut away the stem part by cutting a small incision on each side. Then cut the tomato the same way you cut the peach.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil and one tablespoon of the reduced marinade.
- In a separate bowl add the tomatoes, peaches and parsley, season with salt and pepper. Add in the vinaigrette and mix well but carefully, so as not to break the tomatoes. At the end, carefully fold in the goat cheese without mixing much.
Check out these salads on Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »