Baked Eggs With Tomato And Feta Recipe
Greek-style free-range eggs baked in a clay dish
Longstanding NYC Greek food haven Molyvos starts serving brunch this weekend — opa! If you can't make it to today's grand opening, make this Greek-style baked egg dish, known as avga feta domata. The trick is using the freshest eggs you can find — your local farmer's market definitely has them — as well as ripe summer tomatoes for the sauce. The result is a healthy, filling and, quite frankly, impressive brunch. Serve with toasted crusty bread for extra dipping. You'll want to dip.
For the tomato sauce:
- In a medium size sauce pot, add the olive oil and heat until warm, add the garlic and sauté until the edges turn lightly golden. Add the oregano and the basil, stir to combine, add a pinch of salt and pepper then add the crushed tomatoes. Add ¼ cup of water into the tomato can to remove any excess sauce and add this water to the pot.
- Stir to combine, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, add the sugar, stir to combine, cover, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and let simmer 20 minutes before using.
For the eggs:
- Place an oven proof stainless steel sauté pan or Earthenware dish on the stove over medium heat; add the olive oil, followed by the garlic and sauté for one minute until fragrant.
- Add the dried Greek oregano and cook for 1 minute, stirring to combine. Add the chopped tomato and cook for one minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the diced bread spreading it evenly throughout the pan.
- Gently crack the eggs into the pan and top with the feta. Let simmer on low heat for approximately 2 minutes until the egg whites start to solidify and turn slightly opaque.
- Place the baking dish into a 375º F oven for 5 – 10 minutes depending upon how firm you want the eggs.
- Remove from oven and serve family style.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »