Argentinian Grilled Steak With Rosemary
A simple steak recipe is good grilling knowledge
What makes an Argentinian steak different from any other? Well for starts, Argentina takes its beef very seriously. They have a lot of cows, export a TON of said cows and have perfected the simple grilled steak recipe. A little rosemary for flavor, some basic red wine reduction to cut the meat's richness and finito. No elaborate marinade or fridge-consuming wet-aging necessary. Put down that bottle of steak sauce and walk away. The only condiment you could possibly need is a nice chimichurri.
In order to do it justice, however, this cannot be steak out of a plastic-wrapped package. And it doesn't actually have to come from Argentina. You must saunter up to the counter at a butcher shop and order a fresh piece of bright-red prime beef, hand-sliced by a professional dedicated to the art of providing you with meat that didn't come from a plastic-wrapped package. The rest is up to the flames.
For the red wine reduction:
- Bring wine to a boil with one sprig of rosemary and the peppercorns in a small pot.
- Lower heat to a simmer and reduce by half, about an hour. Want to go a little fancier? Check out our formula for the perfect red wine reduction.
For the steak:
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Drop steak on the center of the grill and place remaining rosemary sprigs on top.
- Close the lid and cook for 3 minutes, then lift the lid, pick the steak up using long tongs and rotate 90 degrees to make hash marks.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes then remove rosemary, flip and repeat on the other side, placing the rosemary back on top.
- Remove steak from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving with the red wine reduction and fresh rosemary.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »