Getting Fancy For The James Beard Awards
Celebrate the JBFAs with our most decadent lunches
Today is one of the most exciting days of the year in the food world, the James Beard Foundation Awards, live from New York City. Other highlights: Meatopia, Cochon 555 and other more meat-up-front events. But the JBFAs are definitely up there. In honor of our nomination for best new website (kidding — no such thing), here are Food Republic's most decadent lunches.
- Ever thought of updating your bread spread from mayonnaise to...meat? Pâté on a sandwich is classy pants.
- Any hors d'oeuvres-like canapé-esque excuse for a lobster roll will most certainly instill a craving for an actual lobster roll. Maybe two.
- As proof that there is hope in this world, most food-aware cultures have a version of steak tartare. And you should try all of them.
- Any kind of raw fish, slightly cured, chopped up with other stuff or simply straight-up is always welcome. Or all of them together.
- In Italy, wrapping things in prosciutto is not considered to be particularly fancy. Thankfully, it is here.
- Along those lines, cheese and fruit together on a sandwich = amazeballs.
- Got a non-fancy lunch? Mac 'n cheese, perhaps? Or a baked potato? Hit it with truffle salt. Now entering Bougieville.
- If it's not on a bagel, you can bet it's all dressed up with nowhere to go but your mouth. It's smoked salmon.
- And the granddaddy of them all, the original three-martini lunch, which I'm pretending I'm having as I pick at this Chipotle burrito bowl next to my laptop. I shouldn't hate; I love me a burrito bowl.
Amidst all the excitement, I find myself wrestling with a pretty serious internal conflict. I could really use some advice, as I tweeted this morning: "empty stomach to accommodate canapés or full stomach so I don't black out before the show starts?"
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »