Artichoke With Baked Brie Sauce Recipe
Trick out your artichoke with a crunchy brie sauce
*Our man in Rome is at it again, cooking up food, shooting it, and sharing the spoils. Alibaba's been on a fava bean kick this week, but here, he breaks out an original recipe for another in-season veggie...
I’m not so sure this recipe is really Italian, having brie as a main accompaniment to the artichokes, but it turned out so well that I wanted to share it with you anyway. Rather than dip your artichoke leaves in butter, aioli or other sauce, bake a creamy-crunchy brie-spiked sauce right on top and let the goodness ooze all over. Sound like a plan?
It’s a very easy recipe, but you have to make sure the brie you’re using is top quality, otherwise it won’t be as tasty. Use a lot of thyme and lots of almonds for extra flavor and crunchiness!
- In a large pot of salted water, boil the artichokes for 10 minutes. Take them out of the water and let them drain well, upside down, in a colander.
- Put the brie in a small pot with the cream and let it melt on a low flame while constantly stirring.
- When the mix is smooth, turn off the heat and, while stirring, add the yolk, the grated parmesan, the thyme and the crushed almonds.
- Preheat the broiler to low and position the rack close to the bottom of the oven.
- Fill the artichokes with the mix (it should cover the tops as well), sprinkle them with some more grated parmesan and almonds and place them standing head up in an oiled casserole dish.
- Put under the broiler and let them cook for about 10 minutes, checking often, or until the cheese turns into a golden crust.