Recipes For Vegans: Vegetable Pot Pie
From vegetarian to vegan, this pot pie delivers
Okay class, this section is coming to a close and I thought I would end it on a high note. Many people have asked me about a classic American food that has been around for many years. It can be hard to find a vegan pot pie. Well the wait is over! I'm tackling the classic savory pastry dish with a twist for spring. I took a traditional meat pie, substituted seitan (my favorite protein) and added some fresh asparagus, leeks and a little habenero pepper for some kick.
Use this recipe for vegan pie crust — it calls for vodka, which is also vegan.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Make pie crust as directed, and freeze bottom shell in pie plate.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt vegan butter and palm oil. Add leeks, garlic, habenero peppers and herbs. Sauté until tender.
- Add flour and brown to a light roux. Add broth, soy milk, asparagus, carrots, peas and seitan. Cook for 3-5 more minutes on low flame.
- Add mixture to frozen pie shell, top with pie shell.
- Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and allow to set for several minutes before serving.
- Use a broth with minimal “taste” to it. Some vegan broths can overpower a dish with a very specific flavor.
- Brown the seitan or your desired protein in a pan separate with a little oil to enhance flavor.