Food & Wine Names Best New Chefs 2012
NYC takes home two best new chef spots
For the past 24 years, Food & Wine has given out the title of Best New Chef in America to chefs who have been in charge of a kitchen for five years or less. It's quite the honor. Last night, Editor-in-Chief Dana Cowin announced this year’s winners — a total of 12 chefs from 10 restaurants across the country. New York dominated with three winners (from two restaurants) including the guys behind Torrisi and Dan Kluger of ABC Kitchen.
Winning the award puts the young chefs in impressive company. Best New Chef alumni include industry greats like Thomas Keller, Gavin Kaysen, Tom Colicchio, Dan Barber, Stephanie Izard, Rick Bayless, and Daniel Boulud. At the awards ceremony last night, Dana Cowin said the chefs had created, “pilgrimage-worthy restaurants.” We can imagine devout gourmands planning their trips already.
Below is the complete list of America's Best New Chefs:
- Erik Anderson & Josh Habiger The Catbird Seat, Nashville, TN
- Mario Carbone & Rich Torrisi Torrisi Italian Specialties, New York, NY
- Danny Grant RIA, Chicago, IL
- Dan Kluger ABC Kitchen, New York, NY
- Corey Lee Benu, San Francisco, CA
- Jenn Louis Lincoln Restaurant, Portland, OR
- Cormac Mahoney Madison Park Conservatory, Seattle, WA
- Bryant Ng The Spice Table, Los Angeles, CA
- Karen Nicolas Equinox, Washington, DC
- Blaine Wetzel The Willows Inn, Lummi Island, WA
Read more about the winners here.