Smoked Duck Breast Recipe
With caramelized squash, onions, bacon & spinach
Smoked duck breast pairs wonderfully with seasonal fall and winter ingredients like squash and dark greens. Sliced paper thin, it's a highlight of a great charcuterie platter, and as a main course (especially when prepared by Marc Murphy) you may forget chicken breasts ever existed.
This recipe originally ran as part of our Marc Murphy Week, but we're bringing it back because it's a great winter meal.
For rice cakes:
- Combine jasmine rice, 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 20 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is evaporated. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
- Combine wild rice, 2 1/2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 50-55 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is evaporated. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook until onions are tender, but not brown. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add rice, pecorino and eggs. Stir to combine. Shape rice into balls using 2 tablespoons for each, then flatten. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add pancakes and cook until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side.
For duck breast:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add half of sliced garlic and onions, cook until brown. Add squash, cook 15 minutes until caramelized. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat large sauté pan on high and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add remaining sliced garlic and cook until brown.
- Add spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat another large ovenproof sauté pan over high heat. When hot, add duck breasts skin side down. Brown 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in oven, 5 minutes. Remove duck breasts from pan and place on cutting board, skin side up, to rest 5 minutes.
- Slice each breast into 10 slices.
- Place a rice cake on each plate
- Top with sautéed spinach, caramelized squash and 5 slices of duck.