How to Make Marinated Mushrooms
A pickled mushroom recipe for the perfect garnish
These little beauties can enliven so many dishes. Scatter a few into mushroom soup and enjoy the way the tart pickle plays against the soup’s earthy creaminess, or nestle a generous spoonful next to a game terrine or some smoked meats. You can use any mushrooms you like — I’ve used buttons and criminis to great effect.
- Wash and dry the mushrooms, then place them in a pan with a snug-fitting lid.
- Put the vinegar, sugar, salt, crushed garlic, and chile in a pan over medium heat, bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then add the thyme and bay leaf.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, put the lid on the pan immediately, and set aside to cool.
- Divide the mushrooms and preserving liquid between clean, sterilized jars and seal.
- Label the jars with the date so you can keep track of different batches. Leave to cool and refrigerate. If you can bear to, leave them a week or two before opening. They will keep for up to 6 months in the fridge.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »