Basil Ice Cream Recipe
Jul 19, 2011 3:01 pm
An herbal twist to your ice cream
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
1 pint heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
6 egg yolks
1 cup half and half
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the heavy cream, sugar and basil and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for half an hour.
- Place this mixture in a blender and puree.
- In a large stainless steel bowl place the egg yolks. Add the half and half mixture while constantly whisking.
- Place entire mixture back onto heat. Add the vanilla bean and the half and half and heat for one to two more minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil! Remove from heat and strain the entire mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Cool over an ice bath. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions.
Level of Difficulty:
Food Republic Newsletter
An assortment of gadgets for any kitchen lover
A hypnotizing vegetarian tart packed with flavor
When will Havana Club be sold in American stores?
Remember the 3 A's: aphrodisiac, absinthe, America
Winemakers, shakers and movers in America's scene
Irish capital is awash in Guinness and fiddle tunes
Breweries use modern packaging to simply make noise