Grilled Scallops Recipe
Japanese BBQ at its best
Dense, delicious sea scallops work great on the grill; they keep their shape and are easy to handle. But be careful when turning them so they don't fall through the grate.
“Reprinted with permission from The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables by Tadashi Ono & Harris Salat, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.”
Yuzu Kosho Marinade, Makes about 3/4 cup
- Whisk together the yuzu kosho, soy sauce, and olive oil in a bowl. This marinade will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Just mix again before using it.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside. Pour the remaining marinade into a baking dish or rimmed sheet pan.
- Lay the scallops in the marinade and gently turn them 4 times to generously coat all sides.
- Preheat a grill to medium-hot. Brush the cooking grate clean and oil it well.
- Grill the scallops about 2 minutes on each side. They’ll turn from translucent to white and become firm and juicy when they’re done. Right before you pull them off the grill, dab the reserved marinade on top of each scallop. Serve immediately.