Grilled Blue Pizza Recipe
Throw some color on the grill with these pizzas
If you have been following along, you will notice that when combined, Chef Eric Lee's Lemon, Corn and Zucchini Pizza, his grilled BLT Pizza, and this Blue Pizza paint quite the patriotic red, white, and blue pizza picture. It's a creative way to celebrate the achievements of those veterans who have sacrificed for the USA during a Memorial Day weekend cookout. Lee makes this pizza blue with a blue cornmeal crust and tops it with blue cheese and blue potatoes. He suggests serving it with a Simi Sonoma County Chardonnay.
For the blue corn dough:
- Place everything in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook and mix for 10 seconds.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix on medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Coat the dough ball completely with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Punch down and form into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for an additional 30 minutes.
For the onion jam:
- Sauté the onions in butter until soft, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and cook until dry. Reserve until ready to use.
For the cheese sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add the shallot and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add the cold milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over low for 20 minutes whisking occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to about 450 degrees. Divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out each piece until it is about 1/8” thick. (The more uneven and rustic the shape, the better!) 3. Place dough onto hot grill. Cook until the bottom is set and there are nicely golden grill marks.
- Flip over and add the cheese sauce.
- Top with some of the onion jam and sliced blue potatoes. Close the barbeque lid. Remove when the potatoes are hot and the crust is golden.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese, slice and serve.