Mint Julep Moderne
An update on the classic mint julep
While we completely agree that the Kentucky Derby cries out for a mint julep in hand, some of us here at Food Republic HQ find traditional mint juleps to be a little too sweet. And old-fashioned. Brennan's of Houston shared with us their Mint Julep Moderne recipe, made with a base of mint tea and served straight up in cocktail glass. It's just as bourbon filled as the original, but a with a little less intensity on the sweetness side. Be sure to make the tea the night before so you are ready on Derby day.
For the Tea
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Place the sugar in a heatproof container; pour water over sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Pack mint into the sugar water and press with a plate to submerge the mint below the water.
- Cover and let sit overnight. Strain and reserve.
- Combine the bourbon and tea in a shaker.
- Fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a martini glass; garnish with mint leaf. Serve
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »