Grilled Bass with Sour Tomato Broth Recipe
This fish swims in a tasty sour tomato broth
It's Good Friday, which means that Catholics turn to fish, since meat is verboten today. We asked Food Republic co-founder Marcus Samuelsson for a grilled bass recipe that would make for an excellent feast to kick off Easter weekend, and here's what we got.
Most people know Japanese food for its sushi, Kobe beef, and ramen noodles, but just as deserving of international attention is the Japanese approach to grilling fish, which is refreshing in its simplicity. Rub it with miso and grill it over low heat. Here, I take a page from Japanese cooks and rub bass fillets with just a little bit of sesame and miso, quickly grill them, and serve them with a sour tomato broth to support the fish’s dense, firm texture and meaty flavor.
For Grilled Bass:
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Toss together the sesame seeds and cilantro in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, and miso in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on both sides of the bass. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the bass on the grill and grill for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the bass from the grill and sprinkle the sesame seed mixture evenly on top of the fish. Serve with the sour tomato broth.
For Sour Tomato Broth:
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a shallow baking sheet and roast until shriveled, 50 to 60 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat the canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and chiles and sauté until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the fish bones, fish sauce, lime leaves, tamarind paste, and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into another pot and add the lime juice and bok choy. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the bok choy is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the roasted tomatoes and scallions. Season with salt.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »