LAST NIGHT'S PARTY: Lucky Kids Launch
Chic heels and handbags mingle with Crayolas
What: Launch of Lucky Kids magazine
Where: Stella McCartney Boutique, Meatpacking District, NYC
When: Wednesday, April 13, 6-8pm
Food & Drink: Champagne and juice boxes by Bite
Why: Tips for Dad
Lucky Kids held a launch party at the Stella McCartney store in the Meatpacking District. The invitation said “Bring the Kids!” so of course I brought my 1-year-old daughter, as it would have been pretty weird to go on my own, right?
It felt a bit strange walking into a flashy retail store with 40 kids having their way with the space, but Lucky Kids knows how to throw a fun party and I picked up some great tips on how to hold a kids-themed event:
- If you’re gonna book a face painter, make sure he’s legit. This guy was incredible and had the longest line. At one point he transformed a girl's face to look like “The Mask” and it was freaky good.
- Don’t forget about the parents! Huge jars of every type of candy are great and all, but those trays of tasty champagne couldn’t make it around fast enough.
- Make your food fun. The catering was done by Bite and they mixed it up well, with grilled cheese sandwiches cut into little stars with a cookie cutter and presented along with mini cups of tomato soup.
- Rent a photo booth. They can be super-expensive but are always popular.
- Hire a balloon girl. If you can find a woman clown, always go that route. The far better option.
- Have a fail-safe. A long arts and crafts table with crayons, beads, baubles, glue, paper—the works.
Verdict: With the demise of Cookie magazine about a year ago, it’s nice to have another magazine out there that can help parents out, especially the new dads out there.
Brett Fahlgren is the style editor of Food Republic and publisher of the blog Style Correspondent.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »