Top 10 Items at the Passover Superstore
Aron's Kissena Farms lists 10 hot Passover items
It's been a busy few weeks under the Passover tent at Aron's Kissena Farms, the sprawling new market in NYC's Flushing neighborhood (in Queens). The store opened in early 2011, with a sleek design by architect Dinesh Doshi and rabbinical supervision by Vaad Harabonim of Queens.
So what were the hot items leading up to Passover this year?
- Matzoh and Matzoh Meal
- Pickled Brisket
- Knaidel Mix (matzo ball)
- Mini Mandel Loaf
- Horseradish (both fresh and ground)
- Standing Rib Roast
- Grape Wine and Juice
- Sedar Plate— a special plate containing six symbolic foods eaten or displayed at the Passover Seder:
- Maror and Charazet: Bitter herbs, symbolizing the bitterness and harshness of the slavery which the Jews endured in Egypt. Either horseradish or romaine lettuce may be eaten in fulfillment of the mitzvah of eating bitter herbs during the Seder.
- Charoset: sweet, dark-colored, chunky paste made of fruits and nuts.
- Karpas: A vegetable other than bitter herbs, which is dipped into salt water at the beginning of the Seder. Parsley, celery, or boiled potato is usually used.
- Zeroah: a special as it is the only element of meat on the Seder Plate. A roasted lamb or goat shank bone, chicken wing, or chicken neck; symbolizing the korban Pesach (Pesach sacrifice), which was a lamb that was offered in the Temple in Jerusalem, then roasted and eaten as part of the meal on Seder night.
- A hard-boiled egg, symbolizing the korban chagigah (festival sacrifice) that was offered in the Temple in Jerusalem and roasted and eaten as part of the meal on Seder night.
What's on your Passover menu? Tell us what you're eating for Seder and throughout the holiday in the comments.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »